Your Dayton, Ohio home inspection company, Accutech Home Inspections, is pleased to share with you how to personalize your backyard with a beautiful concrete path.
Paths provide the practical purpose of connecting two or more locations but a well-made walkway that will stand up for years can enrich the natural landscape of a backyard and complement the exterior look of a home.
While traditionally popular materials for creating paths, like brick and stone, are attractive and durable, they can be expensive and challenging to install. An easy and affordable alternative is to build a path yourself using a plastic form and pre-mixed packaged concrete. Taking this approach not only minimizes cost, time and headache, the preference and personal taste of each individual homeowner dictates the color, style and movement in the finished concrete path.
It starts with selecting the style of path, which can range from a natural looking country stone pattern to a more standard running bond brick pattern. The QUIKRETE Walkmaker forms are 2 foot by 2 foot and conveniently hold one 80-pound bag of concrete, so homeowners can work on the path at their own pace by following these simple directions.
Remember when working with cementitious products, always wear eye protection and gloves.
Steps for laying a path
- Remove the sod and soil to the desired width, shape and length of path, be sure to keep it as flat and level as possible.
- Slowly mix the concrete and water in a wheelbarrow with a garden hoe, shovel or in a concrete mixer according to the directions on the bag.
- Lay the form at the beginning of the path and fill with concrete mix, being sure to smooth the surface with a trowel.
- Promptly remove the form and smooth the edges of the path with a trowel before the concrete mix hardens. For a nonslip finish, brush the surface with a stiff broom.
- Continue by placing the form against the completed section of the path. Then fill with the concrete mix, remove the form and smooth the surface. Repeat the process until the path is complete.
- To create a curved walkway, after removing the form from the freshly poured section of path, reposition the form in the direction of the curve and press down to slice off the corner. Use a trowel to consolidate and smooth cut off edges.
The path can be further customized by incorporating liquid colors, stains, and/or embedding gravel or other small aggregates into the concrete.
Accutech Home Inspections LLC provides the greater Dayton Ohio area with inspection services using with the knowledge and experience gained from inspecting thousands of homes throughout southwestern Ohio. We were the first in Dayton to also use an Infrared Thermography camera as part of every home inspection. We are a Level 1 SIRC Thermographer. We help clients by informing them to the conditions of the house which may include hidden problems. Accutech Home Inspections LLC is a trusted Home Inspection company that provides WDI inspections, chimney inspections, well quality and quantity testing, Radon testing, and are CRMI and CCMI certifed for mold and indoor air quality testing. Choosing the right home inspector can be almost as important as choosing the right home. Why? Because many homes – even new ones – have defects that you may not notice. A skilled Home Inspection Professional such as Accutech Home Inspections LLC has the training and experience needed to look for visual signs of defects in your new home. These defects, if not detected and repaired prior to closing, can cost you, the new homeowner, thousands of dollars in repair bills. It is very important to know the true condition of the house, so you can determine its true value to you. I will not make the buying decision for you, but the inspection can provide you with the information needed to make the decision wisely. You will want to know: How many problems? How serious are the problems? What will it cost to correct them? and do I absolutely need to correct the problems or can I live with them?
Your Premier Dayton Home Inspection Company | Let this experienced home inspector help keep you from buying The Money Pit. We’ll alert you to any and all health or safety issues and maintenance needs of the home you’re looking to buy.
Dayton Home Inspection Services will be your home buying or selling advocate! We are committed to providing you with outstanding service. We’re highly experienced and extremely thorough. If you’re looking to buy or sell in the Dayton City area, we can help!
Owned and operated by home inspector and mold inspection specialist, AccuTech Home Inspection, Tony Burk prides himself in being committed to following high standards and providing professional service to all of our customers.